25 June 2008

catching up.

So. I have quite a few things that I have cooked in the past few weeks that I haven't posted about. Today is the day that I catch up on these, because this week has been a big week for cooking and I will need to post on the newer stuff soon enough. That makes today catch-up day. The day when you get a lot of photos, some recipes or links to them and not too many words. Words aren't my strong suit anyway. I cook.


Number one on the list it the fabulous steak sandwich that I found on The Kitchen Sink. I knew when I saw it that I would be making in for the husband, as he loves the mix of steak and blue cheese.


It was awesome. I highly recommend it as an alternative to the normal grilled burger. Find the recipe here: Grilled Flank Steak and Blue Cheese Sandwiches


Keeping with our grilling theme, we will move onto number two for the day. Chicken and Vegetable Kabobs with Hoisin BBQ sauce. I'd had a jar of hoisin sauce in our fridge for a while and this seemed like the prefect way to put it to use. I good way to spice up chicken and veggies. Yum.

Find the recipe here: Hoisin BBQ Sauce

Now, onto the sweet stuff.


My freezer often gets a bit crowded. I make a lot of stuff and save a lot of stuff and buy a lot of stuff... and lots of this stuff ends up in the freezer. Since some of the stuff that I have been making included ice cream, I've ended up with lots of frozen egg whites. What better way to put them to use than to make meringues. Simple, slightly low-fat, tasty. What more could you ask for?


I decided on a brown sugar version and kind of made the recipe up as I went. I don't really remember it too well, but I will do my best to give it to you here:

Brown Sugar Meringues
3 large egg whites, at room temperature
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 140°C (285°F) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.

Place the egg whites in a large, clean bowl (i.e. dry and with absolutely no trace of fat). Using an electric whisk or the whisk attachment of your stand mixer, whisk until soft peaks form.

Keep whisking continuously as you add in the sugar, one tablespoon at a time: wait until each tablespoon is fully incorporated before you add the next. Once all the sugar is incorporated and the mixture is smooth and firm and glossy gorgeous, whisk in the vanilla until incorporated.

Using two tablespoons, form pingpong- to golf-ball-sized blobs of meringue and drop them on the prepared baking sheet, giving them some space (roughly their own width) to expand.

Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 45 minutes for soft centers, 1 hour for fully baked centers. If you prefer soft, remove the baking sheet from the oven, let cool for 5 minutes, then transfer the meringues delicately to a rack to cool. If you prefer fully baked, turn the oven off, open the oven door just a crack, and let the meringues cool inside for a couple of hours.

And onto our last recipe for the day:


I saw these on SmittenKitchen a while back and they immediately went on my list to bake. I knew there was some cocoa powder hanging around in the cupboard that was longing to be used (it was pretty old) so one evening some lovely Brownie Roll-out Cookies were born. A lot of them, in fact. I stashed some in the freezer while we were out of town last weekend and they are still being eaten.


These really are what they sound like... very dense brownies pretending to be cookies. They are great. Even right out of the freezer. And although I was hesitant to make a roll-out cookie because I am lazy, they were really easy to make and the cookie cutter use brought me back to childhood.

How is that for a cheesy line to end this post?

No comments: