17 March 2008

meyer lemon ricotta pancakes.

Still basking in the glory or the Meyer Lemon Curd, and with a whole lot of leftover zest, Sunday morning brought pancakes. Lemon Ricotta Pancakes. I have always wanted to try these little guys, but at every brunch I have had the chance I always lean toward something else. I really am much more of a savory brunch gal. And I am very picky about my pancakes. In the olden days, I wouldn't eat a pancake unless it was very small... silver dollar sized. My mom made them for me special. High-maintenance, even at age 5.


So Sunday was the day for pancakes. These were a bit more time intensive then I would have liked. I mean, for me, Sundays mean ordering coffee, not whipping egg whites. But I was chipper and I whipped and folded with the best of them.


They had great flavor, especially with all the lemon curd that I put on top of them. But they were a little too grainy for my taste. Next time I will probably use whole milk ricotta instead of part skim... hopefully that will help. One key point I will mention is that the batter is pretty thick, so pouring was not an option for me. I used a scoop and spread method which worked out better and help make the pancakes not to thick in the middle. Dave ate three platefuls, so, in my mind, that means the pancakes were a success.


Meyer Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
adapted from Gourmet

4 large eggs, separated
1 1/3 cups ricotta
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated meyer lemon zest
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
melted butter for brushing the griddle
large dollops of Meyer Lemon Curd for topping

In a bowl whisk together the egg yolks, the ricotta, the sugar, and the zest, add the flour, and stir the mixture until it is just combined. In a bowl with an electric mixer beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they hold stiff peaks, whisk about one fourth of them into the ricotta mixture, and fold in the remaining whites gently but thoroughly. Heat a griddle over moderately high heat until it is hot enough to make drops of water scatter over its surface and brush it with some of the melted butter. Working in batches, pour the batter onto the griddle by 1/4-cup measures and cook the pancakes for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, or until they are golden, brushing the griddle with some of the melted butter as necessary. Transfer the pancakes as they are cooked to a heatproof platter and keep them warm in a preheated 200°F. oven.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

well, they look delicious!